Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Roadtrip Begins!

And we're off! We'll be on the road for about 5 weeks, visiting various friends in a multitude of states. 

I worked Friday and while I was at work Mitch packed our bags and loaded the car. I came home, grabbed a few last minute items, and we hit the road. We made it about 3 miles to the gas station and I realized that I still had our Desert Museum passes that I had promised to leave behind. So we turned around to drop them off. Half way back to the house Mitch realized he hadn't grabbed his passport. Or mine. So in classic Conway fashion we arrived back at the house to drop off and collect our forgotten items. And then we were off! Again! But for reals this time. Declaring that anything else would have to be foregone or replaced. 

While consulting Siri as to the best route, I learned that driving through Yuma, rather than Phoenix, would add just 15 minutes to our trip. I checked Mr Gs website for their hours and was delighted to learn they were open until 9 and we'd easily reach Yuma by 8. It was declared- Mr Gs is ALWAYS worth a 15 minute detour, so to Yuma we went. 

Along the way we also stopped for a "World Famous Date Shake" and some date treats in Dateland. Who doesn't love a date shake? This was a great start to the trip. 

We arrived in Yuma right on schedule and inhaled a machaca burrito, quesadilla, several rolled tacos and the most delicious salsa on the planet. Thank you Yuma for the best burritos and rolled tacos around! 

We refilled the car with Arizona gas prices and crossed the bridge to California. 1 state down, many more to go. Mitch drove, I fell asleep in the car, and lots of road construction and several hours later we arrived at Sarah and Scott's house in Orange (Mitch's sister and brother in law). 

Orange is always a great place to visit. It's a darling town that looks like it is straight out of a movie set. Charming, quaint, quiet- filled with malt shops, hipster restaurants, artisan coffee, and beautiful bungalow style homes. Walking down the street you're likely to pass plumeria trees- thanks Bath and Body works for teaching me what plumeria smells like! There are rose bushes and perfectly manicured lawns. I'm honestly still not convinced this place is real. 

Orange has consisted of lazy mornings, dinner with friends, and donuts. My back is giving me a lot of trouble and causing tons of pain which has put a bit of a damper on my enjoyment. But I'm trying to take it easy and stretch and hope that helps. We've got a lot in store, and being in pain is leading to a lot of frustration and not much sleep on my part. This has benefited Mitch in that he's been able to sleep in. And he continues to be sweet and patient and checks in with me often to see how I'm feeling. Hopefully the pain will ease up soon and not impact the many fun plans we have. 

Next stop: San Francisco. 


One of our dining spots had giant chicken statues. Animal statue pics are a must! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment